220 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY

The lobby of the 1909 Manhattan office building was a “modernization” mess. During the 1950’s the double-height entry had been compressed to a single floor via suspended plastic laminate ceiling concealing the decorative vaulting and the exterior tracery had been covered with slabs of granite. Janko Rasic Architects uncovered the original stone-covered Tudor-Gothic archway at the entrance and applied the arch motif to restructure the lobby and elevator doors. Sconce lights recalling old flaming torches were added. The chandeliers were found in an architectural salvage yard.

Published:
Interior Design